Staging parties require a lot of planning. Between my two kids, I’ve hosted more than ten parties. I’ve given parties in big venues. I have also attempted to host smaller scale celebrations in restaurants and clubhouses which really tested my Mommy skills in budgeting and in being creative.
In this post, I want to share my daughter R’s Purr-fect HELLO KITTY Party. It took me two months to organize this. I’ve outlined the steps that will help you plan your own.
1 .SET A BUDGET – A budget determines everything else.
2. CHOOSE A THEME – I chose Hello Kitty because my daughter is a big fan of the feline character. Choosing a popular character also makes it easy to purchase giveaways and prizes as these are readily available in the market.
3. DETERMINE THE NUMBER OF GUESTS – This has been a perennial problem for me. No matter if I assign the number of guests in the invitation, more people come than are invited.
4. BOOK THE PARTY PLACE – I chose CHILI’S in Alabang Town Center. I’ve used Chili’s before and I liked their food and service. (For 60 adults and 30 kids, average cost PHP 38,000) If your house is big enough or you have a garden that can be transformed into a party place then you can certainly save more by holding your celebration in your home. (You have to cook or book a caterer. In addition, you have to clean up after a tiring party. )
Choose the menu
-Always go for buffet for adults and plated for kids. Kids almost always never finish what’s on their plate. You can take home whatever is left in the buffet.
Bargain for freebies
-Free party banner, use of microphone, sound system, party hats etc. I always ask for free corkage.
5.PRINT YOUR INVITATION – CHILI’S offers free invitations but since I’m the Queen of OC, I designed my own invitation and had it printed. Invitations must be sent out two weeks prior to the event. This will allow you to gauge how many will attend and how many you can still invite
6. BOOK YOUR PARTY HOST – This is very important!!! A great party host will make or break your party. Since I didn’t get any party planner , I booked the host-magician myself. (Good hosts/magicians rates : PHP8,000 to14,000)
7. BOOK ALL OTHER SUPPLIERS – I wanted a Candy Bar and a Sanrio themed Dessert Bar for the guests to enjoy. I had worked with BAKED TWINKLES in my previous parties. Nikko Saulo did a wonderful job in creating and capturing the look I envisioned.
8. GO TO DIVISORIA – People, please don’t pretend you’re too high brow to go to DV. 🙂 Everybody goes to this hot, humid and crowded mecca of goods. I was able to buy my cutie Kitty give-away bags , prizes and giveaways from here.
9. GET YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS INVOLVED – You can ask your girlfriends/relatives to man the registration table, put numbers in the gifts and usher your guests inside.
THE BQP’S MESSAGE
The whole point of having a party is to celebrate the special day of a beloved. I like to hold parties because I want to show my children how much I love them. Yes, it takes money to stage a gathering. But, more than that it takes precious TIME. It is the effort that I put in all of these that I hope my kids will remember. Beautiful memories cannot be bought. It can only be experienced. I am merely setting up the stage where happiness can be possible. Judging from the guests faces, they had a fantastic time! Seeing my normally moody daughter mingling with guests and enjoying herself totally — now, that’s PRICELESS.